This week, I saw a documentary on "The Happiness Manifesto" which is being tested in Slough in the UK. This is an interesting "technique" to help you become happier by engaging in activities that will help increase the joy and satisfaction in your life. It's kind of like daily affirmations, but they are actions - not just self-talk. I loved the concept, so I thought I'd share the 10-item list with you.
- Get physical. Engage in half an hour of exercise three times a week
- Count your blessings. At the end of each day, reflect on at least five things you are grateful for.
- Talk time. Have an hour-long - uninterrupted - conversation with your partner or closest friend each week.
- Plant something. Even if it's a window box or pot. And, you must keep it alive!
- Cut your TV viewing by half.
- Smile at and/or say hello to someone you don't know. At least once each day.
- Phone a friend. Make contact with a friend or relation you have not talked to for a while and arrange to meet up.
- Have a good laugh at least once a day.
- Every day make sure you give yourself a treat. Take time to really enjoy this.
- Daily kindness. Do an extra good turn for someone each day.
Phenomenal list, even more phenomenal if we all put it into practice. Enjoy - really!